My boat, the Doris-Ceil, is a custom 23’ Jones Brothers Light Tackle Edition with Yamaha 200 HP outboard. It’s what I found to be the best light tackle boat for fishing in the Long Island Sound and the Harker’s Island area of North Carolina, allowing us to get to the tightest of inshore spots while being comfortable for the days we need to make longer runs. The Doris-Ceil is also equipped with Radar, redundant GPS, Ipad Navionics, depth finder, fish finder, VHF radio, live bait well, under gunnel and above head lighting, cooler and stereo sound. Pop-up cleats all around and pop-up bow lights prevent fly lines from snagging. The entire deck of the boat is flat from bow to stern, with no areas to trip over while fighting your catch.
Fishing Tackle and Equipment
Having fished myself for 50 years, I’ve gotten fussy about my tackle. I only use what I believe is the absolute best available. You’re welcome to bring your own our use mine. If you decide to use my equipment, here’s what I use:
Fly Rod Equipment:
- Fly rods are G Loomis Crosscurrent GLX in 9wt, 10wt, 12wt and 13wt.
- Fly reels are all either Abel or Nautilus
- Lines are predominately Orvis Hydros Depth Charge sinking line with in 350 Gr, 450gr and 550gr to match each rod
Light Tackle Spinning:
- Spinning rods are G Loomis or No. 8 Tackle Company
- Spinning reels are Shimano from 2500 series to 5000 series to match the rods and fish
Light Tackle Bait Casting:
- Bait casting rods are G Loomis, No. 8 Tackle Company, or custom
- Bait casting reels are customized Shimano Calcutta and Shimano Trinidad